Sunday, January 22, 2012

Starting pussy willows in floral foam? Anyone heard of or tried that?

I recieved a flower arrangement with pussy willows in it a couple of weeks ago.



After the flowers died, I went to throw out the arrangement and the pussywillows had sprouted leaves!



When I pulled the branches from the foam, there were small white roots running through the foam.



My question is, if I tried to do this ON PURPOSE next year, would it work again, and what would I need to add to the water that the foam block is soaked in?

Starting pussy willows in floral foam? Anyone heard of or tried that?
You can simply start pussy willows in a jar of water. Just let them sit there until they sprout(give fresh water every few days) then plant them in some potting soil in a container. They sprout easily.



I wouldn't leave them in the foam.



I have a huge pussy willow tree and I put some in a vase with just water in they all sprouted.



You can dry pussy willlows out and they are good in dry arrangements.
Reply:Pussy willows can just be placed in water and they will root. It is one of the easier plants to root. They are ready for planting when roots reach a couple of inches long. I rooted a few this spring, stuck them in the ground, haven't had to tend to them since. They are extremely easy to grow and you can cut them back each season if you like and they will return more full each year.


No comments:

Post a Comment